Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nakato or Nakaton't?

Nakato is one of the older Japanese restaurants in Atlanta. They opened in 1972. Sheesh, that's older than me. 

Also, I didn't realize how large it was. Maybe it started out small like other Japanese restaurants, got used to the American lifestyle, and got fat. But who cares if they got fat? As long as they served good food. 

They offered all fads of Japanese cuisine: teppanyaki style, izakaya style, and sushi. They didn't have ramen though. Maybe they missed out on the current Korean owned, Japanese style ramen fad. I should come back in a month and see if they added ramen to the menu. 

Anyway, we opted to go for the non-hibachi side since I'm not a big fan of teppanyaki. To me, teppanyaki is just fried rice with fancy meats. Fried rice is fried rice. It's what Asians make when they have leftovers. 

The miso soup they gave us before our meals tasted too salty. But it was your basic miso.

The miso. So thick your spoon is stuck there.
I tasted the jalapeno roll. It didn't taste that bad. Instead of relying on the heat from wasabi, you get the heat from jalapeno. They did offer wasabi still.

The other rolls didn't taste too bad either.

Jalapeno roll


Tempura Moriawase was a huge mountain of fried goodness. It came with a large dish of dipping sauce with some shredded daikon and other stuff to mix in with your dipping sauce. I'm not a big tempura fan, but it did taste good. Although, I don't know how much of the fried batter my stomach could take.

Tempura Moriawase

My omakase looked a bit tame. The sushi tasted good, but I didn't think it was anything special.

Omakase. The Chef surprises you with 9 
I liked it overall, but I wasn't too impressed. They seemed like another average Japanese restaurant to me. You can find 100's of simliar quality Japanese places here in Atlanta.

I also don't think it's a great value for the quality or quantity of food we got. But I think they have specials going on occasionally. They had coupons on restaurant.com. They also had the happy hour special, which I think is still going on, where you get 5 plates for $15. You just have to search around to see if you can find a good deal. Then I would think it would be worth it.

Even though I mentioned the place was big, it still had a nice atmosphere. And the service was 5 star quality, so it could be a good place to impress your date.

Also, if it's your birthday, have them sing you their version of Happy Birthday. Heck, even if it's not your birthday, say it's your birthday so you can hear it. The song is awesome. Overall, Mr. Kitty gives Nakato 3 paws up. 

Nakato 
1776 Cheshire Bridge Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
(404) 873-6582

1 comment:

  1. From a foodie perspective, the thing to get here are the one pot dishes. To go to Nakato for sushi is like going to Peter Cheng's for hamburgers.

    Yosenabe, sukiyaki, shabu-shabu. No place else in the city presents like this place does.

    FnS.

    PS - if I haven't said previously, I think this blog is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete