Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Australian Bakery Cafe in Marietta Square


Do you guys remember the Foster's Beer commercials? I can imagine that commercial: They show a nice looking pie on the windowsill, cooling. Then some rough looking character takes his bowie knife and cuts it open. We zoom in a see the pie is filled with meat. Then the voice over comes in with a thick Australian accent, "Apple Pie." Then the can of Fosters slams down, "Beer. Fosters, Australian for beer."

Well, if you come here, you get to experience Australian version of pies.  Besides wrestling crocodiles and dodging dangerous spiders size of their heads, it looks like Australians fill their pies with meat instead of fruits. 

Australian Bakery Cafe, like the name implies, is a bakery specializing in Australian baked goods— particularly their famous meat pies. It's one of the few places that I know that serves authentic Australian meat pies. It seems like there's two locations in Atlanta: East Atlanta and Marietta Square. I went to the Marietta Square location. 

The Pies

Their Original Australian Meat pie is just pie crust with ground beef and gravy. It was nothing special. It was just some salty, juicy ground beef in a pie crust. I don't know what the big deal was. 

The Ned Kelly Pie was more interesting since it was an open faced meat pie with a cracked egg, cheese, and bacon baked on top of it. I think it would've been better if the egg was a little bit runny. I thought the extra stuff would add more depth to the pies, but it didn't. I preferred the original Australian Meat Pie. 

Meat Pie and Ned Kelly Pie
Their sausage roll was the same deal. I don't know if it was just me, but it tasted same as the meat pie, except it was shaped differently. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to be a Australian meat pie connoisseur.

Meat pie and Australian Sausage Roll

I think this place is okay. I do like the idea of having pies with meat in them. But my experience wasn't extraordinary. If you want something unique for lunch at the Marietta Square, you can try this place. I must warn you, 1 pie won't fill you up. They are small. I suggest you to order something extra whether it be salad or another meat pie if you want to be full. Mr. Kitty gives it 3 paws up.





Australian Bakery Cafe
48 S Park Sq NE
Marietta, GA 30060
(678) 797-6222
Australian Bakery Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment