Saturday, May 28, 2011

Chong Qing Hot Pot at the Chinatown Food Court

Chong Qing Hot Pot reminds me how American kids made fun of me in grade school by making "ching chang chong" sounds. Maybe if Chong Qing Hot Pot existed back then, they would've called me Chong Qing Kitty. Or maybe not, since this place hides inside Atlanta's Chinatown, and most Americans don't know this place exists.

I don't like calling it Chinatown. It feels more like a Chinablock. Atlanta Chinatown is just one strip mall filled with Chinese stores and a food court. The food court has some authentic, cheap Chinese places like Top One Gourmet, Yanmi Yanmi, Ocean Garden, Hong Kong BBQ, and of course, Chong Qing Hot Pot.

About 8 years ago, I used to go to the Chinatown food court often. They were cheap and decent. Back then, none of the restaurants offered an English menu. You needed know Chinese, or you wouldn't be able to order. I even learned to say, "san bao fan" at Hong Kong BBQ. And still to this day, even after they put up an American-translated menu, that's the only dish I know how to order at Hong Kong BBQ.

Even after going to the food court so many times, this is my first time I'm trying Chong Qing Hot Pot.

So How was Chong Qing Hot Pot?



Even though they used to only have a Chinese menu, today, Chong Qing Hot Pot offers an English translated menu with pictures—it's the thick book that's sitting on their counter. It's great because of the big pictures. That's a smart move for them with their increasing popularity of Spanish and American visitors. 

Chong Qing Hot Pot looks like a Sichuan place. Some people claim it as the best Sichuan place in Atlanta, not Peter Chang's or Tasty China. Well, that got me curious, and it prompted me to check it out.

Their Many Many Dishes

I got to taste The Beef Noodle Soup. It had thin rice noodles, bok choy, and a ton of beef. The Beef Noodle Soup was okay. It tasted a little bland. The meat was tough, and the noodles felt overdone. I guess it's a decent dish if you want a cheap, quick meal.  


Beef Noodle Soup
Next, I got one of my favorite dishes at Peter Chang's: the Double Cooked Pork. Chong Qing's version tasted okay. It wasn't good as Peter Chang's. Chong Qing's version felt less spicy than what I'm used to.

Double Cooked Pork
The Chong Qing Steamed Pork was a disappointment. It looked good in the pictures, but it was tasteless and too fatty. Okay, so it's pork, so it should be fatty. But it felt like I was eating pure, tasteless fat. I think my problem was that I just ate the meat itself. I think I needed to mix it around and eat it with the sauce and cabbage at the bottom. It doesn't matter, I probably won't get it again.

Chong Qing Steamed Pork
Chong Qing Chicken was better. It was dry and spicy. I felt they over-seasoned it with salt, but I didn't mind. At least that gave it some taste. I liked the texture of the fried chicken. I consider it one of Chong Qing's better dishes.

Chong Qing Chicken
Surprisingly, I loved the Fish in Chili Oil. I actually liked Chong Qing's version than Peter Chang's. Peter Chang's version felt too overpowering with its chili, oil, and spices. Chong Qing's version seemed more subtle. It didn't overpower me. The amount of spices felt just right.

Fish in Chili Oil
Protip: you have to go behind the counter and scoop up your own rice. Besides the rice cooker, there is a big vat of egg drop soup you can get too. It's not the best egg drop soup I've tasted, but hey it's complimentary.

Egg Drop Soup

Conclusion


Just like all the places at the Chinatown Food Court, you can expect average food with great prices at Chong Qing Hot Pot. After eating at Peter Chang's and Tasty China, I felt the flavor and heat were underpowered at Chong Qing Hot Pot.

I don't consider it better than Peter Chang's. I don't know who would say that unless they're smoking some opium. But you do get what you pay for. If you want a low-budget version of Sichuan cooking, try Chong Qing Hot Pot. Mr. Kitty gives it 3 paws up.

Chong Qing Hot Pot
5385 New Peachtree Rd
Atlanta, GA 30341
(770) 936-1379
Chong Qing Hot Pot on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment