Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dan Moo Ji is Cute

I can't believe it took me this long to go to Dan Moo Ji. Dan Moo Ji is a small Korean restaurant in Duluth. It has a cute decor and serves food—a lot of food. 

Everything in here is cute, the dishes, the waitresses, the walls, and one of my friends even said the owner was cute. I guess the cute theme is part of their gimmick. 

I like their food. I consider it one of the best values in Atlanta. For a few bucks, you can stuff yourself. The prices are so cheap, you might underestimate how much food they'll give you. 

Bunch of cute drawings drawn by someone. 
Before they bring their food out, they give you a complimentary bowl of broth and 2 pickled vegetables. The amount of Korean side dishes they give you is pretty pathetic, but they make it up for it with their dishes. The soup taste pretty good though. It seems like udon broth. It is not meant to be eaten as an appetizer; it's meant to compliment your dishes.

Pretty good broth.
We ordered the Ddeokbokki with chewy noodles, which is actually called jjorbokki (쫄볶이). All of their ddeokbokki variations are cooked in front of you by one of the waitresses. They give you tons of rice cakes, oden, cabbage, and chewy noodles.

They warned us that spicy was very hot and recommended us to get the regular version. So we did. I'm not afraid of spice, but they were right. The regular version was pretty hot. I don't know how hot the very hot version would be.

Preparing the ddeokbokki.
We also got Korean's version of rolls, gimbap. They had a few variations of gimbap as well. There were some I haven't seen before like squid gimbap. That sounded good so we ordered that and the traditional beef gimbap. Just like their ddeokbokki, a huge plate of gimbap came out.

I loved the squid gimbap. They rolled up the Korean, stir-fried squid parts covered in traditional, fermented pepper paste in the rice and seaweed. Their beef gimbap tasted good too. But if you like squid, you should try the squid gimbap.

Looks like they chopped up a big snake and served it to us. It tasted pretty delicious though. 
The gimbap and the ddeokbokki could feed 2 people well, but underestimating the size of the dishes, we also ordered the don cutlet (donkatsu). I was shocked at the size of the pork. I'm used to the pork being the size of my hand. But Dan Moo Ji's donkatsu was the size of my chest. It was huge.

The picture below does not do it justice on what the actual size was. Not only it had a huge piece of meat on the plate, it also had tons of rice and salad squeezed on top of the giant saucer. It tasted pretty good too. But we were too full from the other 2 dishes to enjoy this.
The biggest donkatsu I've ever seen. 

Dan Moo Ji just became one of my favorite Korean restaurants in Atlanta. Sure, they don't serve fancy food, but they serve good, Korean, cheap eats. If you're unemployed, this is a great place to come to stuff yourself for cheap. Gigantic portions, low prices, great tastes, and cute girls; what more can you ask for? Mr. Kitty gives this place 4.5 paws up.

Dan Moo Ji
3230 Steve Reynolds Blvd
Duluth, GA 30096
Dan Moo JI on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment