Thursday, June 23, 2011

Five Guys "Famous" Burgers and Fries (and Hotdogs)

Their Famous, but Mediocre Burgers

We all know what Five Guys is. It's the fast food place that serves below-average burgers, gives a tub full of fries that can feed a family of four, and offers free peanuts when you go in.

Just by watching them make their burgers, you can already tell it won't be good. They mash the burgers when they're cooking, which squeezes out all its juices. They cook it well done, but that's not their fault. With the kind of ground meat they're getting, they probably have to cook it well done to be safe. Their grilling technique makes their burgers dry and burnt.

Although, some people do enjoy their burgers, and I understand why. You can put all sorts of toppings on it. It adds a lot of  flavor that was lost in the grilling. If Five Guys didn't offer mushrooms, peppers, relish, onions, etc to their burgers, I bet most people wouldn't like the burgers as much. Besides, the star of the burger is the meat. Adding a ton of toppings to a crappy burger is just a coverup.

Another thing I don't like about their burgers is that they're expensive. It costs a lot compared to the other fast food burger places. Burger and fries cost around $8. They're pretty much charging "good burger" prices for a fast food style burger.

Enough Venting About Their Burgers, How are Their Hotdogs?

Besides their "famous" burgers, they serve hotdogs as well. I have heard that their dogs are pretty good. So I had to try them. But are they just overhyped like the burgers?

The Hot Dog


The dog tasted and looked like your average hotdog. They cut it down the middle and grill it on their griddle. They also toast the bun on their griddle.

I'm not sure why they cut the sausage down the middle. Maybe it makes it cook faster? Although I have heard that this makes the meat taste better. I don't know if it does though.

I do like some things about their hotdogs. I like how they grill the franks. That's my preferred way of cooking hotdogs—not boiling them. I also like how the franks are bigger than normal franks. Finally, you can add the same ingredients that you can get with the burger.  And those toppings can improve the taste.

The hotdog at Five Guys wasn't the best I've tasted, but it tasted decent. You also need to eat about 2 of these hotdogs to get nice and full.

I give Five Guys 2 paws up for their burger and 3.5 paws up for their hot dogs. So taking the average, Mr. Kitty gives Five Guys Burger and Fries 3 paws up.

Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries
www.fiveguys.com
Five Guys Burger and Fries on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment