Sunday, July 24, 2011

Eating Cantonese Cooked Meals at Canton Cooks

Canton Cooks has been in Atlanta forever. It is one of my favorite Chinese restaurants in Atlanta. Just like the name implies, it specializes in Cantonese cuisine. 

My other favorite Chinese restaurant, Peter Cheng's, is much different. Peter Cheng's is Sichuan food, where they use a ton of chili, peppers, garlic, Sichuan peppercorn, and other stuff to burn a hole in your stomach. 

Cantonese cuisine, which Canton Cooks specializes in, doesn't overwhelm with strong flavors. The flavors try to be in harmony. Also, Cantonese cuisine has great seafood, but like good Chinese people, they cook pretty much anything that moves. 

One of my favorite soups, and Canton Cooks has several great soups, is the Crab Meat and Fish Maw Soup. If you don't like seafood, I suggest you not order it. It has a strong seafood taste. But I love seafood, and I think this soup taste delicious. To me, it should be renamed Crack Meat and Crack Maw Soup because of its addicting nature to me.

Crab Meat and Fish Maw Soup
The soup is great by itself, but you can add a splash of red vinegar to it to give it an additional depth of flavor. Overall, I find this soup very comforting. I try to get this when I go to any Cantonese restaurant.

Crab Meat and Fish Maw Soup with Red Vinegar 
Their Wor Sue Duck is great. It's like eating crispy fried chicken, but with duck instead of chicken. And who doesn't like fried chicken? Or fried anything for that matter. The best part: it's boneless. Sometimes I find it a hassle to eat duck with bone in it, not Wor Sue Duck. You can just shovel the meat in without worrying about biting into a bone.

Wor Sue Duck AKA Boneless Cantonese Fried Duck with Vegetables. 
Their steamed fish options are good too. I love fish, and I feel Canton Cooks cooks fishes well. They use fresh fish straight from the tank. But you can't mess up steamed fish for me. As long as it's fresh and cooked, I'll eat it anyway since I love fish.

Steamed Sole
There are other dishes I enjoy at Canton Cooks that are not pictured. There is Salt and Pepper Squid, which is a favorite among many people. It's probably one of their most popular dishes. It's just fried squid in salt and pepper, and it tastes good.

There's also Peking Spareribs, which my wife calls meat lollipops. It's very sugary pork. And of course, most carnivores love pork. The sweet glaze adds to the flavor.

Finally I would like to write about their service. Unlike Peter Cheng's, Canton Cooks does service right. They are friendly, attentive, and on point. They refill at the right time, they remove finished plates fast, and always available.

I also love how Canton Cooks is open until 2 AM. They have always saved me when I get late night cravings. The only bad thing about Canton Cooks is that they're closed on Wednesdays. So keep that in mind when you have cravings for some Cantonese food. Mr. Kitty gives Canton Cooks 4.5 paws up.

Canton Cooks
5984 Roswell Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30328
(404) 250-0515
Canton Cooks on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment